Friday 2 October 2015

Meet The Artist: Sunjay


Singer/Songwriter Sunjay plays Chepstow this evening. With a style that has that natural drift between folk and blues the young performer has already received numerous accolades including winning the Wath Festival Young Performers Award. Sunjay also made the final selection for the BBC’s Young Folk Award in 2012, had three nominations at the Exposure Music Awards 2014 and was also recognised by the 2014 British Blues Awards. Andy Howells recently put questions to the young musician.

How did you get into singing?
I come from a musical family, my dad sings and plays guitar. I realized (although perhaps not consciously at the time) that I needed music and saw that I could use a Guitar to accompany myself. I asked for a Guitar for Christmas when I was 4 and began to start sing more seriously.

Where are you from originally? 
I was born in Derby, but I've always lived in the West Midlands.

How would you describe your music style?
It's folk, blues and everything in between!


You already have a few albums under your belt, how do you feel you've progressed as an artist in the years you've been recording and performing live? 
I have become a better performer and much better at being in the studio and the recording process. I've also learned a lot about how things work within the music business. I think of myself predominately as a live performer, CD's enable me to get out and play live.

Your playing some Wales dates on your current tour - have you enjoyed playing Wales in the past? 
Playing in Wales is always great, I think this is my 4th visit to Wales and I'm looking forward to it.

Who are your musical influences? 
My first introduction to music was a programme on TV called The Day The Music Died, which got me into Buddy Holly. Through Buddy I discovered people like Elvis, Little Richard & Waylon Jennings. Then after a few years I got into singer/songwriters like James Taylor & Joni Mitchell.

What are you listening to at the moment? 
The last few artist's albums I've bought have been, Ian Siegal & Trace Adkins.

  • Sunjay plays Chepstow’s Mackenzie Hall on October 2 (call 01291 689910 for information).
  • For further information on Sunjay visit sunjay.tv and facebook.com/OfficialSunjay
  • A version of this Q&A by Andy Howells appeared in The South Wales Argus entertainment supplement The Guide on September 25, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment